Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons Cornflour
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- Grated rind of a lemon
- Pie shell - can use 200g crushed biscuits mixed with 100g butter
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 4-6 teaspoons sugar
- 2 large or 3 medium eggs
- Make the pie shell using another pie shell recipe or crush 200g of plain biscuits with 100g butter. Chill.
- In a saucepan, mix sugar, cornflour and salt. Add boiling water and lemon rind and cook until very thick.
- Separate the egg yolks/whites.
- Remove from the heat and add two large egg yolks and 2/3 cup of lemon juice.
- Return to the heat and mix until steaming hot.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell and cook for 5 minutes at 200 C.
- Beat 4 teaspoons of sugar with egg whites until stiff. Spread on top of the pie and cook for a further 12 minutes at 180 C.
- Can be eaten hot or chilled.
Adapted from cooks.com recipe